Hello everyone! I'm sorry I've been so terribly delinquent in writing. I would like to think that it's because I'm busier, but it may be because I'm wasting more time on the internet. A lot of interesting things have happened since I last wrote, and it's already mid-October! I just bought my plane ticket for Christmas in Germany, which is really exciting.
Anyways, back to the Caracan musical world. Since I last wrote, I have been to a ton of oboe lessons, and have met a ton of oboists (I've never been more glad that I play such a quirky instrument and have such nice colleagues!). Attending lessons (with 5 different professors, of all levels of students) has been really informative to learn about pedagogy here, to see what kind of exercises and repertoire are being taught. It was great for me, both as a teacher and musician, and sometimes felt very self-indulgent. ("That's a great scale study! I've never done that. I should go home and practice it.") The students I observed are studying with the best oboists here, so they themselves are the top of each age group, they get the chance to study privately and look at things outside of orchestral music-many kids who just learn in the nucleos also get private lessons, but spend most of their time devoted to orchestral repertoire.
I have spent a considerable time at the nucleo in a satellite city (dormitory city?) that is up in the hills outside Caracas, about 30 minutes by bus in San Antonio de los Altos. It's a beautiful and peaceful city, and the nucleo there shares a community building with sports and arts programs. This nucleo has only been around 3 years, and sprang from 80 to its current 400 students, speaking to its importance in the region. Many of the professors there told me that before the orchestra program there, there were many kids who would spend their afternoons loitering and doing drugs. Now many of them have an after school activity.
I arrived to San Antonio in time for a Seminario, which in Venezuelan orchestra speak, means intensive music workshop, that can last anywhere from a few days to a week-this one fell during a long weekend, and the kids were there from 9-6 every day, shuttled between sectionals and rehearsals. Lunch and snacks were provided. I got to teach some lessons and classes there (and will be continuing to go there, hopefully regularly!). I taught a 6 year old tiny girl with a special light Rigoutaut oboe that is small and has fewer keys (the normal oboe is too heavy and there's too much air pressure for someone with such small lungs!). I was having her just play one note at a time when she asked if she could play me a song. "Of course! I didn't know you could play a song!" She huffed her way through the melody of "Ode to Joy" and it was adorable. I was very proud of her. Today I conducted the woodwind and oboe sectionals. The kids spend a ton of time playing through and replaying and rehearsing orchestra parts, and the teachers have tons of patience and are very thorough, I tried to be so myself today.
Besides that, I've been continuing to go to concerts and rehearsals, playing ultimate frisbee, and am trying to plan some travels for later this month and next month. I hear it's cold in the midwest. I miss Autumn and its related activities, especially anything related to squash and apples, and maybe even Halloween. Some stores here have Halloween decorations, but most have skipped right to Christmas. I'd love to hear from all of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment